Labels

Sunday 1 May 2011

Sporting greatness

I know that lots of people don't really 'get' horse-racing, but if you get the chance to see the replay of Frankel winning the 2000 Guineas it's well worth a look.  I've been a racing fan for longer than I care to remember, but I've never, ever seen anything like it.  These are the best three-year old colts around, and they are all good horses - some of them very good - but he simply toyed with them and won by as far as his jockey wanted.



He's trained by the great Henry Cecil - a man with a mix of genius and human frailty that the Briitish racing public finds irresistible.  To my generation he's simply known as 'god', and when he revealed that jockey Tom Queally had told him that there was more in Frankel's tank had it been needed, I nearly fell off my chair.  It would be great if Frankel went on to win again, but if he doesn't, then no matter - on the day that counted he was, I believe, the best horse I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment