Labels

Tuesday 28 September 2010

The wrong brother

It took me a while to actually join the Labour Party - I'd supported them for many, many years but hadn't ever taken the step and paid my dues.  I finally signed up on the day of the General Election defeat in May - I watched Gordon Brown speaking to party activists as he bade them farewell and screamed at the set 'Why couldn't you have shown that eloquence and passion before now?'.  The prospect of a government led by Slick and Slicker filled me with such horror that I went on-line and joined the party.

However, look what Labour has gone and done!  There were only two brothers to choose from - how hard could it be to pick the right one?  For me it's really not about their policies but one simple question: which of them is the more likely to defeat the evil axis when the coalition implodes...as it surely will?  The answer is blindingly obvious - Ed looks unelectable to me, and David looked very electable.  Cameron and Clegg must be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of facing the younger brother.

What's a man to do - stick it out or cancel the membership subscription?  I haven't yet decided, but living in Winchester there's an even tougher dilemma heading my way, and that's how do I vote at the next election?  Last time I voted LibDem purely and simply because it was my democratic duty to do whatever I could to prevent the Tory getting in.  Next time that isn't an option because of Nick Clegg's deceit and treachery - how can anyone say what he said about the Tories and then form a coalition with them?  His shameful pursuit of power will probably result in his party being destroyed the next time the public has a chance to vote, because I reckon a lot of their 'support' was actually an anti-Tory vote.  I'll never, ever forgive him and his party and I don't think I'll be the only one thinking that way.  To get back to the question about what should I do, the answer will depend on how often I have to listen to Union bosses rambling on - every word they utter sets back the prospects of a Labour government being elected next time around.  Pretty depressing stuff, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment