Labels

Thursday 6 January 2011

Should I be a man in uniform?

I've been trying to work out when it was that I became a postman.  I don't remember applying, and no-one has yet given me a uniform, but Royal Mail seems to have appointed me.  I remember the good old days when you had your breakfast interrupted by the arrival of the day's mail, and it was all for you.  At the same time, your neighbours got the mail that was addressed to them, but that's not how things have worked in our village for the past few years.



Yesterday was a typical example: as well as my mail I got a letter for my next-door neighbour, and the one next to them.  I also got some for people I've got to know quite well - they live at the same number as me but in a street that has a similar name to mine.  Oh, and I forgot to mention, it arrived about 16:00 - was it today's mail arriving early, or yesterday's that was late?

I order a lot from Amazon and they use a range of carriers.  I also go out a lot, so I leave a note saying that my kind neighbours are happy to take mail on my behalf and sign for it.  This works well for every carrier, bar Royal Mail.  For reasons known only to themselves, they won't be helpful and insist on taking the mail back to the local Post Office - if a neighbour sees the postperson and offers to take it on my behalf, they get rebuffed.

As a Labour Party member I should be opposing the privatisation of Royal Mail, but I just can't bring myself to do it any more.  The sooner that more private enterprise is brought in to our mail deliveries, the better it will be.  I once had reason to complain about City Link and the complaint was handled brilliantly, and the problem I highlighted has never been repeated, but Royal Mail is a different beast.  When I cracked and got the local manager on the phone to tell him that I'd retired as the local unpaid postman, and that the rogue mail would be held for seven days before being shredded, then he paid me a visit.  Apologies were profuse, and assurances were given, but they were utterly meaningless - I don't complain any more as what would be the point?

I doubt that it's the postpersons' fault - the screw is clearly being turned, and there are fewer of them being expected to do more.  However, that really isn't my problem, I just want MY mail delivered at a sensible time. Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment