Labels

Monday 25 July 2011

Cynic, moi? Oui.

I've just done three week's work at the BBC and it has been an eye-opener.  On my first day there I was asked to lock myself away and do a self-study programme on 'Trust'.  Here's where the cynicism comes in - I assumed that this was no more than a hoop that I had to jump through, a tick in the box, just like when IBM insisted we all read a stultefyingly boring document called Business Conduct Guidelines every year.  Once it was done, backsides had been covered, and life went on.

I was shocked, genuinely shocked, to find that it was for real.  I suppose that's a legacy of ITV's dodgy competitions, and the general malaise in the tabloid newspaper industry, but my respect for the Beeb grew hugely over those three weeks - my goodness that organisation has standards, and it tries to live by them.

Have a look at the BBC College of Journalism site - here's the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/journalism/ethics-and-values/trust-and-choices/trust-and-tv-documentary.shtml - it's a good read.

I learned the hard way.  I interviewed someone for a piece I was doing, and because the sound wasn't as good on my questions as I would have wished - that was 100% user error on my part - I recorded the same questions live back at the studios, and did the edit.  The questions were exactly the same - not a word was changed - but the producer made me do it again as it was written as an interview but the listener could tell the questions were recorded elsewhere.

I've always been a Beeb listener - I'm a Radio 4 man - but I'll do it with even more respect from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment